The Data Center / Facilities Technician with LightEdge Solutions will be responsible for managing and maintaining all aspects of our data centers, and other critical facilities. This will include working directly with other engineers, support staff, senior management, vendors and contractors to ensure the highest levels of industry standards, availability, security and efficiency are met at all times. This position will be based primarily out of the Omaha, NE data center.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinate maintenance work with vendors for core data center infrastructure, including UPS’s, Generators, electrical, cooling and fire suppression systems.
- Work with other LightEdge personnel, contractors and vendors to diagnose and troubleshoot problems with data center equipment.
- Install servers and network devices into racks
- Work with project managers and technicians to facilitate new client service installations
- Handle incoming shipments
- Facilitate data center tours
- Coordinate and assist in the design layout and installation of new racks and cages
- Install and troubleshoot telco networking equipment
- Respond to and resolve alarm events affecting infrastructure and services
- Follow established Change Control processes; create and review MOPs for Change activities
- Ensure operational efficiencies and best practices toward maintaining availability/
uptime of all 24X7 facilities mission critical operations and infrastructure
- Share technical knowledge and operational experience with team members to
enhance professional growth and effective cross training of the Datacenter and Support
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Responsible for installing hardware necessary for installation of new services. This position requires that you be capable of consoling into equipment (various vendors) and being of assistance onsite where necessary. The equipment list includes, but is not limited to: Servers, Blade Chassis, Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Phones, Voice gateways
- Must be proficient in all wiring types and requirements, such as Ethernet, Phone, T1, CAT5 vs. CAT6, Straighthrough vs. Crossover, etc.
- Experience with day-to-day standard maintenance activates in data centers.
- Familiarity with telco central office equipment.
- Extensive experience with the following circuit technologies: T1, DS3, OC3, Optical Fiber, Ethernet First Mile (EFM)
- Comprehensive understanding of fiber wave-division multiplexing (WDM) technologies, both coarse (CWDM) and dense (DWDM).
- Significant experience with electrical systems, including generators, transfer switches, PDU’s, Breaker panels and UPS’s
- Knowledge of data center cooling systems and airflow management techniques, including on-grade and raised floor environments
- Ability to multitask and prioritize activities in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working Tridium Niagara AX software supporting and augmenting building monitoring systems. This is not a requirement but is a skillset preferred for this position.