HIPAA Compliance Overview
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) establishes requirements for the use, disclosure, and safeguarding of electronic protected health information (ePHI).
For organizations that manage, store, or transmit ePHI or those that are entering the cloud marketplace, staying up-to-date on the latest HIPAA guidelines is essential.
Who Needs HIPAA Compliance?
HIPAA compliance should be top-of-mind for any organization that handles or stores sensitive healthcare data, including:
- Health Insurance Providers
- HR departments
Due to the shifting IT landscape, 80% of healthcare data will travel to the cloud by 2020. It’s becoming increasingly uneconomical for businesses to run their own data centers due to the growing need for considerations of HIPAA compliance in cloud storage, security, and IT infrastructure. The transition away from traditional, on-site data storage is fast approaching and businesses are looking for cloud storage partners that consider HIPAA in their control environment to help keep sensitive healthcare data secure.
What is HIPAA Compliance?
HIPAA is U.S. legislation that aims to protect the privacy and security of medical information. HIPAA was initially created to “improve the portability and accountability of health insurance coverage” for employees. Other objectives of HIPAA were to combat waste, fraud and abuse in healthcare delivery. Many healthcare businesses have HIPAA compliant standards and procedures in place on premise but keeping protected health information (PHI) secure.
HIPAA-Compliant Colocation and Data Centers
What does it mean to be a Colocation and hosting provider that has undergone an independent third-party examination based on the HIPAA Security Rule requirements?
LightEdge has successfully undergone a third-party examination against the HIPAA Security Rule and HITECH Breach Notification Requirements and has been issued a Type 1 attestation report from an independent CPA firm. This means our facilities have the HIPAA colocation requirements to keep your data HIPAA-compliant.
Our HIPAA report includes the HIPAA Security Rule and HITECH Breach Notification Requirements to demonstrate that we have controls in place to protect the security, confidentiality, and availability of your electronic protected health information (ePHI).
Finding a HIPAA-compliant data center and colocation provider that meets the necessary HIPAA standards will allow you to focus on innovating and improving the patient experience and business efficiency within your healthcare organization.
Colocation and cloud hosting providers protect your sensitive healthcare data in the event of an emergency by acting as a disaster recovery location. Our secure infrastructure and expertise in both compliance and the healthcare industry, combined with our private cloud offerings, and ongoing education and training will ensure your data is safe from a physical or cyber breach.
HIPAA-Compliant Cloud Hosting
You need a HIPAA-compliant cloud hosting provider & IT services partner that understands HIPAA Requirements
Outsourcing a hospital or clinic’s information security and IT infrastructure is an important decision and transferring legacy data and applications is a sensitive task.
With our HIPAA-compliant cloud services, we create service level agreements (SLAs) to address security, information disclosure, disaster recovery policies, and other specific data handling practices.
When searching for the right HIPAA-compliant cloud hosting provider, it is best that your provider has experience with healthcare customers. LightEdge has extensive experience in the healthcare industry and is well-versed in addressing the dynamic needs of healthcare businesses. We have the expert knowledge to keep EHR and PHI secure and have the background experience dealing with industry rules and regulations and will be able to advise you on compliance actions your organization should be taking.
Download our whitepaper to learn more about what to look for in a HIPAA-compliant cloud hosting provider.
Strengthen your company’s risk mitigation and compliance story just like hundreds of other healthcare providers that have turned to LightEdge Solutions.
- More Flexibility: A data center can be a costly operation, especially if it isn’t run efficiently. With medical imaging, PAC, and other healthcare data storage requirements constantly evolving, scaling up to meet new storage requirements is not an easy task for an in-house data center. LightEdge offers the flexibility needed to compete in an unpredictable market, allowing you to scale securely, predictably, and cost-effectively.
- Expert Assistance: Keeping up with an ever-evolving IT landscape can be time consuming. Leave that to LightEdge’s IT experts so that you can utilize your internal staff most effectively. We’ll keep up with the ever-evolving IT market so you can focus on providing patient care.
- Annual reviews: LightEdge is audited yearly by an independent third-party CPA firm to ensure we keep up with ever-evolving technology and compliance regulations.
Compliance and security resources Support
See Whitepapers and Case Studies to help keep your business protected and compliant.
The control you want, with the security and cost you need
At LightEdge, we know that what companies value in their cloud hosting and IT services partners differs from company to company. That’s why we have a range of offerings that cover different levels of control, security, and cost, based on your preferences. You tell us what you need, and we customize the service offering to fit your operation.
Our Compliance & Security Process
Take advantage of our compliance planning, implementation and management services to reduce the burden of HIPAA compliance. As you may know, the responsibility of compliance is shared:
- Risk Assessment – Get a fresh perspective on how well you meet HIPAA requirements and best practices in security. We’ll uncover any vulnerabilities that need remediation.
- Security Controls – Based on findings from the risk assessment, our experts recommend the proper controls to protect sensitive data and pass your HIPAA reviews.
- Security Policies – Use our pre-built policy templates to enforce policies and procedures that safeguard your business.
- Managed Security Solutions – If you lack time, resources, or expertise to manage the daily activities of compliance, LightEdge’s managed solutions are ideal.
- Security Audit Support – We help you gather the evidence and documentation you need when undergoing HIPAA reviews; we even provide support during your third-party audits.
LightEdge has HIPAA-secure data center locations at our Des Moines, Kansas City, Omaha, Austin and Raleigh data center facilities. With LightEdge, you can achieve auditable HIPAA compliance. With a proven background working with healthcare organizations, our data center and hosting solutions provide you with confidence you need to meet HIPAA requirements.